Bangladeshi Buddhist Student’s Union [BBSU] – www.vangabodhi.com
What is BBSU?
This is an organization of/for Bangladeshi Buddhist Students who are living around the globe. Its objective is to generate awareness of the history, literature, culture, and heritage of the Buddhist Communities in Bangladesh among ourselves and expose our identity to the world. We felt such a necessity perceiving that Buddhists of Bangladesh are not much recognized in the world. This is regretful because, once Buddhism was the central intellectual force in Bangladesh. The Baruas, Chakmas. Tancangyas, Marmas and several other communities are sustaining the legacy of that glorious heritage although interpolated with later influences. Many Bangladeshi Buddhist Masters like Ven. Santa Rakshita, Atisha Dipankar Sri Gyan, Candragomin et al. of past and Venerable Dharmadhar Mahasthabir, Dr. Benimadhav Barua et al. in the recent century who hail from Bangladesh are highly esteemed by modern scholars for their great contributions in the development of Buddhist literature and traditions. In fact Bengali scholars trace the introduction of Buddhism in Bangladesh to the time of Ven. Vangīśa – a contemporary disciple of the Buddha, who was well known for poetical skills. Sadly, many people do not know that these masters were from Bangladesh and that the legacy of these savants still remains in Bangladesh. Therefore, BBSU seeks to make the world have a better picture of Buddhism in Bangladesh.
Activities of BBSU
1. BBSU is a website based organization. Our interactions are through internet communication system [e.g. using mails]
2. We write factual, critical, informative, and comprehensive articles for our site
3. BBSU translates important works from Bengali to English and vis-à-vis
4. We distribute pictures of Buddhist historical importance to important institutions to make them aware of past glories of Buddhism in Bangladesh
5. Further Activities will be declared on this page
Who are the Members?
There is no strict rule of being admitted to BBSU. We welcome anybody who is active and ready to serve altruistically for achieving the above objectives of BBSU. The advantage in being a BBSU member is that you will be interacting with the members as in a family. We will respect your ideas for the improvement of BBSU. Members are welcome from any country in the world. Please contact the following e-mail address if you are interested in BBSU membership. (You can also join us in the facebook by clicking BBSU.)
How to Contribute Articles to BBSU
Presently BBSU welcomes articles on Bangladesh Buddhism and different Buddhist communities including their historical and cultural details [please see the categories]. We generally accept English articles as BBSU is aimed at international audience. At the same time we hope to present Bengali versions of the English articles. Articles collected from other websites, for example, the Banglapedia, are noted in the articles themselves. As we are living in abroad [like: Sri Lanka, Thailand] first hand pictorial and video illustrations of Buddhist cultural practices are not possible for us. Therefore, we request Buddhist students from Bangladesh to send pictures of religious, cultural, and historical importance for our site. However, articles related to any of the categories mentioned above will be accepted for publishing in BBSU on the following conditions-
1. Please send your articles to firstname.lastname@example.org .
2. The article/s can be both academic and non-academic, but, containing factual and clear ideas
3. The articles will be read by some members of BBSU
4. If there is any improvement to make on your article we will send your article back with our opinions and suggestions
5. The final version should accordingly be prepared and sent to us for publication.
6. Articles will be edited occasionally
7. Please use Tahoma fonts [for Pāli, Bengali or other words with diacritical marks]
8. You can also post your comments or opinions on our publications.
Further change will be notified in this section of this page.